This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

XBee ZB

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM
Edited Nov 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I have two XBee ZB Radios attached to my Windows 7 PC and it recognizes them at COM3 and COM4. I have programmed one as a Coordinator AT and one as a End Device AT using the latest firmware and I set the PAN ID for both. Using XCTU I am able to communicate between the two devices through the terminal window. I am however unable to communicate with them using the XBeeConsole sample in the Networking Toolkit. I always get to "throw new TimeoutException("Could not receive response.");". I am sure it is a XBee setup issue but I have tried several different options and I have also tried programming the XBee modules for API mode and still cannot get it to work. Does anyone have a sample setup for the radios that will work with the XBeeConsole example? It would be useful to have a starting place where I know the two units are communicating using the library in the Networking Toolkit.

Thank you in advance.

Walter

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Hi,

which XBee modules are you using (manufacturer, model nr.)? And can you send me a screenshot of your configuration inside XCTU?

Michael

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM
Edited Nov 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM

WOW, that was a super fast reply. Thank you so much.

The part I ordered is Digi XB24-Z7WIT-004. I am not sure how to attach a picture here but here are most of the values for the ZigBee Coordinator AT in text format below. I can attach the same information for the ZigBee End Device AT if you wish. If there is a better way to send you a picture, maybe as a link or via email or whatever please let me know.

Networking
(1)ID-PAN ID
(1FFE)SC-Scan Channels
(3) SD -Scan Duration
(O)ZS -Zigßee Stack Profile
(FF) NJ -Node Join Time
(1)OP-Operating PAN ID
(4901)01 –Operating l6-bitPAN ID
(12) CH - Operating Channel
(9) NC - Number of Remaining Children
Addressing
(1200) SH - Serial Number High
(406BFB12)SL - Serial Number Low
(0) MY - 16-bit Network Address
(0) DH - Destination Address High
(FFFF) DL - Destination Address Low
() NI - Node Identifier
(1E) NH - Maximum Hops
(0) BH - Broadcast Radius
(FF) AR - Many-to-One Route Broadcast Time
(30000) DD - Device Type Identifier
(3C) NT - Node Discovery Backoff
(0) NO - Node Discovery Options
(54) NP - Maximum Number of Transmission Bytes
ZigBee Addressing
(E8) SE – ZigBee Source Endpoint
(E8) DE = ZigBee Destination Endpoint
(11) CI – ZigBee Cluster ID
RF Interfacing
(4) PL - Power Level
(1) PM - PowerMode
(3) PP - Power at PL4
Security
(0) EE - Encryption Enable
(0) E0 - Encryption Options
KY - Encryption Key
NK - Network Encryption Key
Serial Interlacing
(3) BD - BaudRate
(0) NB - Parity
(0) SB - StopBits
(3) RO - Packetization Timeout
(1) D7 - D107 Configuration
(O) D6 - DIOS Configuration
AT Command Options
(64) CT - AT Command Mode Timeout
(3E8) ST - Guard Times
(2B) CC - Command Sequence Character
Sleep Modes
(20) SP- Cyclic Sleep Period
(1) SN - Number of Cyclic Sleep Periods

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I finally figured it out and it was that I had one module setup as an End Device so it was going to sleep. Since a Router can also perform all the functions of an End Device I reprogrammed the XBee module to be a Router API and it all worked just fine with my Coordinator in API mode.

Also, not sure if it would be necessary in all cases but since I was using various different XBee radio modules I set the Router Join Verify (JV) so it would swap channels if necessary after a power cycle/reset.